Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Which Universities offer the pre-Med program?

Okay, don't get mad at me for asking this. I've searched endlessly on the internet and I have not been able to find any direct answer. Can someone help me?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that pre-med programs are more of a US thing. Canadian Universities in general ask for either CEGEP or University degrees (in any faculty although some med schools have pre-requisites).

For example, I know that for NOSM you can apply with any 4-year undergrad from any discipline (except mature students who can apply with a 3-year undergrad) and that Ottawa will accept any application with at least 3 years of university with some bio, chem and humanities pre-requisites.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Ok so here you go, Pre Med is an American thing. IT is not always a major ( i know a person taking English at Princeton but in PreMed) my understanding is that it is a bunch of courses that you take, kinda like a minor that ensure that you meet the minimum requirements for med school applications.

In Canada the term pre med is usually associated with a BioMed or Life Science degree. Most Canadian universities offer one of these two programs or if not a Biological Science degree is good.

But then again to get into any med school you dont have to come through a premed program you just have to have taken the right pre reqs and you are good.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Ooh, okay. Thanks a bunch guys
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handleyj View Post
Ok so here you go, Pre Med is an American thing. IT is not always a major ( i know a person taking English at Princeton but in PreMed) my understanding is that it is a bunch of courses that you take, kinda like a minor that ensure that you meet the minimum requirements for med school applications.

In Canada the term pre med is usually associated with a BioMed or Life Science degree. Most Canadian universities offer one of these two programs or if not a Biological Science degree is good.

But then again to get into any med school you dont have to come through a premed program you just have to have taken the right pre reqs and you are good.
One thing to say about this...BS. I applied to the US, all my family is there I can guarantee you there is not such thing as Premed in the United States. They have one program you apply to after doing 2 years of undergrad that is a med school prep thing at Bryn Mawr college, but nothing more. People ask, "what are you studying?" and the common answer is "biology-premed" that is it. In sum, the association of the sciences in Canada to "premed" identical to the United States' association to Premed.

As an aside...why DOESN'T THE OP LOOK AT THE FRIGGEN STICKY?????? It is at the top of the main page..."I've searched endlessly on the internet and I have not been able to find any direct answer" what kind of direct answer were you looking for?

Last edited by skvangs : 10-23-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM

mcgill university does. after completing the requirements from cegep, if you are admitted to pre-med you are pretty much a lock for med school.

if you do speak french or are in montreal, and have attended a french school then you can apply to all the french schools here that offer it as well. (laval, sherbrooke, UDM)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Premed is something that you declare (regardless of your major) so that the premed advisors know to help you with your AMCAS application/write letters for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skvangs View Post
As an aside...why DOESN'T THE OP LOOK AT THE FRIGGEN STICKY?????? It is at the top of the main page..."I've searched endlessly on the internet and I have not been able to find any direct answer" what kind of direct answer were you looking for?
Well, I was told that pre-med programs were available in Canada and soo, when I searched I couldn't find any specific answer but I guess that's only because there are none in Canada.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
mcgill university does. after completing the requirements from cegep, if you are admitted to pre-med you are pretty much a lock for med school.

if you do speak french or are in montreal, and have attended a french school then you can apply to all the french schools here that offer it as well. (laval, sherbrooke, UDM)
Thanks, I'll look into that!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

I've found that the idea of a pre-med program is at least a little bit bigger in the states than in canada . . . I don't plan to apply to the states if I ever do, but I've heard of Wayne states's "MedStart" program, and you don't get much more premed than that.